Fun Facts about Egypt
1. Egypt has the largest Arabic population in the world.
2. It took over 20 years to build the famous Great Pyramid at Giza. It's purpose was to serve as a burial place for King Khufu (2589-2566 B.C.). More than two million blocks of limestone comprise the structure, with each one weighing as much as two and a half elephants. The height is aproximately 460 feet (149 m) which is taller than the Statue of Liberty.
3. Over 90% of Egypt is considered desert.
4. People were not the only ones mummified, Ancient Egyptians mummified animals too. Archeologists uncovered a 15-foot crocodile that was mummified.
5. At around the period of 3,000 B.C., hieroglyphs were created but may have began as early wall paintings. Egypt features more than 700 different hieroglyphs in comparion to English's 26 letters. 2
6. The Egyptian pyramids are the oldest of the seven wonders of the ancient world, and the only wonder to survive in present times.
7. The ancient Egyptians became the first society to use a 365 day year divided by 12 months. Clocks were also invented Egyptians. 2
8. Opposite of what people generally believe, Cleopatra was in fact Greek. She was not Egyptian or African. 3. During the time of Alexander the Great, she was the last of the Macedonian Greek dynasty to reign in Egypt.
|Leader:||President: Gen. Abdel Fattah el-Sisi|
|Government type:||Republic of Egypt|
|Population:||86,895,099 (Source: CNN)|
|Languages:||Arabic (official), English and French are largely understood from those who are educated 1.
|Ethnic Diversity:||Egyptian 99.6%, other 0.4%|
|Official Currency:||Egyptian pound
Overall it has an dry desert climate. The days are mostly warm or hot, and nights are cool. It has a mediterranean coastline that comes with humidity in the summer, and cool nights.
|National Holiday:||23 July|
|Religion:||Muslim (mostly Sunni) 90%, Coptic 9%, other Christian 1%|
|Area:||total: 1,001,450 sq km (105,037 sq miles)|
|Country Phone Code:||20|